- Name a favourite Christmas Song
How are you spending Christmas this year?
This is a doing and sharing Christmas rather than a giving and getting Christmas. We are sharing our time and love with gifts from the heart. We are having Christmas Parties from the 22nd.-27th. It is a baking and craft Christmas for us. I guess in a way we are moving into a more mature Christmas and it is fun yet a little lonely this year for Denny. There isn’t the excitement of Santa like there was before and all the gifts that the boys can think they would like are practical or very expensive. So we are making it a fun and active Christmas. We are doing Santa type things for other kids instead!
- What sports clubs or activities were you active in this year?
For our family Sport were very big… The boys both play on the same Junior High School team! It is great! They work so well together and compliment each others play! In baseball, Johnny is firstbase-Denny 3rd. In BasketBall Johnny has the height and Denny the speed they really work well as a team! Daddy, helped out as a coach for baseball this year.
- Did you learn something new this year or try something new?
We all learned a lot and tried something new! We did a family ITALY vacation! It was marvelous! 2 weeks of fun adventure and history! The food was great the travel fun and we really enjoyed ourselves. It was an adventure to do the trains and accommodations and everything as a family. We are planning our next holiday now!
Hiroko has started Piano again! It is a joy to hear her play at home. She has an antique piano that she loves and it seems to love her back because they make great music together.
Daddy, became Professor John, which has been a real challenge and a lot of fun! I have a really nice office in a brand new building with a look over the fountain. I still am filling the shelves with books and mind with knowledge so I can teach with passion and wisdom.
What was a book that you read or movie that you watched and particularly enjoyed this year?
We have done some family reading but just last night we watched Miracle on 34th Street for the 4th. time and still cried when the little girls dreams came true!
- Did you reach a milestone this year? (certain age... have a child, have a child graduate or leave home...)
We have had some milestones. Daddy became a professor.
- What do you remember about Christmas Mornings, all of them traditionally or one in particular?
I remember all of the excitement and screeches of joy and laughter. I think the funnest Christmases for me was between 12-16 I was old enough to enjoy my gifts but also share in the joy of the younger children as well. Our boys love to sleep in so even from a young age they usually didn’t rush to the tree until after 8:00 am. I remember the 3:00 am morning when Jim and I would wake up and run down the stairs at the Chaucer House!
- What are your memories of visiting Santa?
Oh we have some very funny memories of Santa in Japan. Of course they are helping Santa’s but even the same. It was funny because sometime they are on the corner of the street selling liquor or cigarettes. They are found running around gathering people into bars. It is rare to find one who is sitting and willing to chat with a child. I remember finding one and the boys sat on his lap.. And he said, with a very thick accent. Me-li-kuristomasu Sorry, I don’t speak English.
- What memories do you have of putting up the Christmas Tree?
I have lots of memories of getting a live Christmas tree. I remember going as a family in Victoria to someones Property that said, we could find a tree we liked. It was so fun and such an adventure that we try and have a live tree in Japan. We have one this year as well.
- What do you remember about Christmas Eve at Grandma's on Lulie St.?
OH, I loved Grandma’s Christmases! I loved the baked goods, the big Christmas Dinners, the songs and small talent show! I loved Grandpa and his Guitar and Grandma with her little smiles and I actually enjoyed the smell of wine. I remember the thrill of lighting the plum cake that had brandy on it! I loved, the gifts and grandma’s tree! I even loved getting gifts from Auntie Adele even though we knew that every year they were socks. There was love, and festivity in the home and a dedication for tradition. I too, would love to be that type of Grandparent.
What was your first Christmas away from home like?
Oh, it was in France on a mission. It was lonely, yet sacred with a touch of spice. I remember reading the bible story of Jesus from start to finish the first time.
- What traditions have you carried into your own family?
We have carried through a number of traditions. Our newest one is the Gift from the Heart Presents that Grandma Gathright (Joyce) taught us. We have some empty boxes wrapped up nicely, with a little card on the outside that has a gift from the heart that we are giving to someone.
Gift from the Heart! It was only a few years ago when Joyce Grandma came to visit us for Christmas! It was busy time as usual for the Japanese Gathright family. Hiroko and I were in and out of our office back and forth from the house to our annex. It was close to Christmas and we were not feeling very Christmas because we were so busy. But, it kept striking us as odd that every time we came into the house Grandma and the Boys would be sitting like a Cat who just ate a mouse with a huge grin like the Chester Cat in Alice and Wonderland. We kept hear little odd noise around the home when we were up in bed or in another room. Being that it is Christmas we had a guess that something was up.- Favourite Christmas Movie?
Oh, we have a few. Our favorite book is the gift of the magi!
What do you want for Christmas?
A bathroom up stairs in the Treehouse and More room in our Kitchen.
- What do you like for dinner if you haven't planned something and everyone is hungry?
We eat out sometimes. We have a couple of restaurants that are small family run with great food and wonderful friendship. We love to drop by visit. It is fun because we have taken pictures and eaten at these places since the boys were tiny. They welcome us and make special meals and add little loving touches to our food. Surprisingly it is not more expensive than some fast food places. They love the business and we love the good food and fun times. Having these places close to the train station is also great if the boys need to phone or have a small emergency.
What do you consider to be a treat for yourself?
Time spent with my boys and Hiroko. I would have to say that my greatest joy right now is to watch them play sports and cheer on the side lines. I also love Dates with Hiroko. We have been trying to do them more often, lately we have been combining them with speeches and outings. The boys are old enough to take care of themselves so we are a little more free. I also love to settle by the fireplace with a good book,
- What was a highlight of this past year in your life or your families life... an event, an award, a vacation...?
Last year was a great year for new and exciting things. We also made some really good friendships. Our family met and spent private time with Prince Charles! He was so sincere, kind, and friendly. He went out of his way to talk with Hiroko and ask about our family. We also had some good friends visit us from Hawaii! Mark and Sylvia, Mark came over to help with our tree climbing training. Sylvia came as his partner. They were wonderful friends. It is funny that we went when I was on business to Hawaii and the friendship has really grown. Johnny and Denny’s Basket Ball team took the International Schools of Japan National Tournament 3rd Place trophy. It was a real great feat because they played a lot of the junior players and still placed 3rd.
- What do you think of everyone meeting in a warm fun place for Christmas one year... there are 38 of us now... What a Party??
You know.. I really have a feeling that a Summer Christmas Reunion might be a great idea! There are 38 of us. Cold winter weather is not the greatest for having lots of outdoor activities. With 38 of us any home will seem small and renting a resort is a big expense. What about place where we can camp, play and enjoy each other. Christmas is also a time when we have extended families to visit as well.
Christmas is about loving and sharing. I think a mid summer Christmas would be great!



No comments:
Post a Comment