Click here to receive email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Friday, 13 February 2009

Forties File Friday - Pets

Just one of the family pets.

Eden had a great desire to have a bird.. she was given a budgie…(parakeet).. and even tho she was just a little girl she took good care of him.. she really enjoyed him.. Lionel. Lional, ??( I never saw his name in print !) As I remember, one day he was loose and took advantage of an opportunity to leave not only the cage but the house ! A heart breaking day … Eden will perhaps remember the details better than I.. some time later Eden became the proud mistress of a cockatiel ! Her name was baby…She knew and loved Eden… and was enjoyed by all who got to hear her whistle the old tune of Colonel Bogies March.. She would regularly call out

Hi Mum… as this is what she would hear over and over each day as the family would come home…with their greeting.

The family and friends had great fun with Baby's antics… then the move to Texas came……

Baby of course moved with us… and had a wonderful life as she could be in her huge cage ( found in Texas an old coca-cola trolley for rolling crates of pop onto trucks)…and rolled out into the fresh air most of the year..

note the short term kitten that we had, who tired to make friends thru the cage

Her new life also included a new cage mate.. Dougan who belonged to Paige…

The house was a chatter from the residents and the birds… This just doubled the fun and flutter. Nova made no bones about her reluctance to agree.. ( see her blogg reference to the birds)

However, the photos below should show how well accepted the birds were.. both in Victoria and Texas… with young and old.. I remember for a while we had finches.. hummmm maybe I'd like to relive those days and get a cage full of finches again..

As for Eden… and her parting with Baby.. that was sweet sorrow.. Baby went to Carolyn Herriot ( family will remember her as the Garden Lady)….I have the loss to Eden of Baby…on my list of regrets regarding my family… so if these photos s bring back a latent desire for another chance at a bird… I'll see that Eden gets a new "" feathered Baby""

Where's Waldo.. err 'baby'?

click photo to enlarge

Enjoy the memories.. thru these photos. I wish more had been taken but at least these will help tell the story.. note the two little girls wanting to have baby sit on their finger..… and I'm surprised at nova's smile while holding Caleb to enjoy the birds… most often she ducked and ran..

(As I'm sure you can see.... Mum sorted the photos quickly and assumed it was me holding Caleb... but I wouldn't be standing there with a bird on my head and another on my shoulder with a baby in my arms... I'd be laying on the ground saying things I'd hope the baby never repeated, hoping that the birds were being removed!)

There are more photos to follow ….when found…..to show the mistress Eden and Paige with their respective feathered friends… Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment