Click here to receive email updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thursday, 15 January 2009

Forties File Friday - Camping

JOHN

Yes, We camp! Well, 3 of us camp. Hiroko likes camping with beds, showers, hot coffee and candles.
The boys and I camp often. We love it! We are great fans of short trips as well. We will leave in the afternoon set up camp and then go home mid day the next day. We live in a tree house and we used to camp in our forest when they were little. We often slept in treeboats Special Tree Climbing Hammocks outside. We have also done some full fledged full blow camping. On trips like these we try and put a few flowers in the tent some scented candles, and make mum's bed as non camp as possible. We also have to entice her with promises of total relaxation and a holiday from any washing cleaning or cooking.
As a boy I have many memorable camping outings. I remember doing the west coast trail with Dad and some scouts it was a wonderful trip. Dad, is a great camper and skilled at camp cooking, and fire building and an all round great camp Dad.. He also carried more than his share of the gear and did more than his share of the clean up. I remember camping as we moved from Arizona to Canada! I remember the Bumpity Grunt and a couple of converted bus that we used for summer vacations. I still have fond memories of K-A campgrounds across USA. I also remember when we raced a Bike Rider who seemed to be cycling the same route as us. We would pass him in the Camping Bus in the morning and he would roll into the same campsite at night. I don't know wether we were extremely slow or he was extremely fast!
I also remember the early days of Hornby when we only camped! Mum was always a fun camp sport and great at making drift wood furniture and tables while Dad worked on the Cabin. I remember taking the black and wood paneled station wagon stuffed with things for our Hornby Cabin. It was always so nice driving home in a car that we could sit on the seats. Hornby was a blast and so was mum and Dad. Mum and Dad seemed to let their hair down, shed a few layers of stress and let their true creative and fun selves free.
I would have to say that we are a camping family. Some of us require more comfort that others.
Personally, I have been on some very wild camps with out family members or friends. I have camped in Jungles, 80 meters in the top of a Giant Sequoia, Hanging over a cliff in Oregon over the ocean in a hammock. Camped in the snow and in the desert.
I love the outdoors. I definately, think that camping with my family and my dad inspired my camping spirit now. Thanks Dad and Mum.

PAIGE

This is no memory.. this is the present...


DAD


I camped all during my scout and early adult years. Joyce and I camped with John, Jim, and Jill as we journyed to Canada as much as an economical way to travel as an adventure. We had a tendency to do things the hard way. I tried as each of our children grew up to see that each of them had at least one camping adventure but as I got older the joy of camping has kind of gone away. I like my comfortable bed too much anymore. I have fond memories of summer canoe trips in Wisconsin and Northern British Columbia with Scouts and a session with the christian summer camp with a West Coast Trail canoe and hiking trip with John as a Junior leader. The best feeling of that trip was when the group that John and I had lead talked to the other group and they came right out and asked if we would be doing the trip again the next year because they wanted to be part of our group the next time. Our group had more fun. Nova got her trip with the Young womens group from church and they all nearly drowned when they had to be taken off the trail do to the heavy rains on the coast. John took Graton camping and then he went with the scouts but I just didn't have it in me anymore for Paige and Eden. I go on our wards camp out but I just sleep in my car with a sleeping bag as a comforter and enjoy the fireside and help cook the breakfast. The spirit is willing but the body is weak.

EDEN


i remember that i was always left home, cause i was too small to go.......dad used to take sparky on scout trips, and novy did the west coast trail.... once i think john came home for a visit and took the kids to goldstream for a overnight campout. i did not get to go and was very very upset. at least i had hornby, not really camping but i loved it there and still go with my family every summer. my first real camp out was in my teens with some girl friends and it was a blast!
but as for camping memories as a child i only seem to remember all the times i was not included.

2 comments:

  1. sorry eden... John once told me a line that i'll never forget...
    If you didn't have good parenting you can turn that around by being a good parent... so with that mantra.. you can make sure your girls get the camping experiences... and don't get left behind... You already take them to hornby.. next time put up a tent too ! !

    John you have sure carred on the sprit for your boys.. and even while taking such a good sport and willing candle relaxing princess !
    Nova your experience leave me speachless.. and Paige.. ''spot on''
    while you camp outsde your burned home ! but paige .. didn't carlos make a comment on camping or rather not understanding why people want to camp? could you tell about that..!
    and I hope jill tells about their camps and especially the boat trip camping to mosquitti island !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure you want to know haw much camping I have done. Started when I was to young to remember, and all through my scouting years.As we boys were growing up on the white river in Arkansas. Much of our summers were spent camping along the river and living from the land.The corn fields along the river furnished corn on the cob and the river furnished fish.From our grandmother we learned to eat certain roots and weeds as salads.
    The biggest camp time of all was in Alaska
    During WW2.We arrived in Seward Ak 5th Aug 1941 and camped in tents for 18 months. For recreation we dug gun emplacments and foxholes.
    It was really nice to move into barracks later on during the war.
    I have always had a yearn for travel and have owned several campers , trailers ect.and still enjoy the modern camping in a small motor home. We belong to a camping club and try to go camping about 3 to 5 days a month during eight months of the year.Thanks for letting me make a comment. Uncle Lloyd

    ReplyDelete